The Norblad Hotel is located in the heart of Astoria within a short walk of the river front, breweries, coffee shops, museums, shopping, and theaters. Park your car and create a reality worth sharing.
A.C. Miller and J.H. Jeffers, proprietors of the Sunflower Dairy, hired architect John E. Wicks to design this concrete and brick, two-story business block. In November 1923, a ten-year lease on the second floor was signed with Governor George F. Norblad , and in January, the Hotel Norblad opened its doors. The Bank of Commerce moved into their new quarters in the building and opened for February 28, 1924. This building is significant for its connection to architect John E. Wicks and contribution to the historic streetscape through its quality of design and retention of detail. This building is rare in that it has two doorways with terra cotta surrounds. The glass and pressed tin canopy is the finest canopy in the area. The building is also significant for its incorporation of a hotel, a common trend during the historic period.
|Deluxe Cabins||Hostel Bunks|
In the fall of 2007 two local Historic building enthusiasts (slightly nuts) purchased the Norblad building whose second floor hotel was operating under the name The Hideaway Inn and Hostel. The reputation was anything but good.
The duo quickly had the old neon sign renovated and proudly displaying the new / original name in electric blue. It was renamed the Norblad Hotel & Hostel.
A local metal shop worked to restore the original and award winning pressed tin awning. The exterior has been completely restored, retail spaces renovated and leased. The 2nd floor hotel has undergone restoration efforts over a three-year period with new marble showers for the Euro styled rooms, a new communal kitchen, and a complete renovation of all 35 rooms.
The hotel remains open as the oldest continually operated hotel in the oldest settlement west of the Rockies.....however it's anything but "old".